What better way to celebrate a new FOODISTA Badge for my post on Shahi Khichadi than by baking a chocolate cake, I firmly believe that chocolate is the one word that instantly lifts sagging spirits and the whole baking process itself is cathartic! So sistahs let’s BAKE!
Basic Chocolate Cake with Frosting
- Cake tin
- Hand-Blender or Stand-Mixer
- Wire-rack to cool the cake
- Probe to test cake
- Spatula to frost the cake
- Measuring spoons
- Baking Parchment
- 225 gms Butter softened
- 225 gms Caster Sugar
- 4 Eggs
- 220 gms Self-Raising Flour
- 3 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tbsp Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 tsp Soda-Bicarbonate
For the frosting
- 100 gms Butter
- 100 gms Icing Sugar
- 1 tbsp CocoaPowder
- Shaved Chocolate for garnish
- Fresh Strawberries for garnish
- Granish of choice
- Lightly Grease two cake tins and line the bottoms with non stick-parchment. I manage without parchment , it's up to you, if yo are baking for the first time use it as it prevents the sides from burning.
- Preheat Oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- Ensure butter is completely softened or else use the old foolproof way – heat water in a pan ,place a vessel on top with the butter inside minus any packaging, watch it soften like a man melts when he looks onto the eyes's of his dearest ,ahem …
- Measure the Butter and sugar into a bowl and mix well they form a creamy mix, I used a fork and gave it a good old whipping:) – think of someone you dislike – your boss , your mil, your annoying neighbour, Baba Yaga the Witch – whoever – just whip away,hehehe
- Add 3 medium or 4 small eggs, I used 3 medium-sized eggs.
- Swift the self-raising flour into this mix ,followed by the baking powder, soda bicarbonate ,cocoa powder and beat till really smooth , I didn’t even need a hand blender as the butter was perfectly soft and the flour well swifted , though do go ahead and use a hand blender on low setting for about a minute , have added a picture so you know the look of consistency.
- Divide the mixture between the two tins. I used the foil of the butter packaging to grease the cake tins, no wastage in my kitchen !
- Bake in a pre-heated oven for approximately 25-30mins.
- While in the oven make the icing by creaming together the butter and icing sugar and add cocoa powder, mix until smooth.
- Cover frosting and set aside
- Allow the baked cakes to cool down completely on a wire-rack before frosting
- Sandwich the frosting in-between the two cakes
- Add some on the sides and sprinkle the crunchy choco balls on the top , go all crazy and add some chocolate shavings , I did !
Why not have a look at my other recipes: