What better way to celebrate a new FOODISTA Badge for my post on Shahi Khichadi than by baking a chocolate cake , I firmly believe that chocolate is the one word that instantly lifts sagging spirits and the whole baking process itself is cathartic ! So sistah’s lets BAKE !
Prep: 25 mins | Cook: 30 mins
Level :EASY PEASY !
You will Need the Following :
- 225g butter, softened
- 225g caster sugar
- 4 Eggs
- 220g Self Raising Flour
- 3 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tbsp Cocoa Powder
- Half tiny spoonfull of Soda Bicarbonate
For the FILLING
- 100g Butter
- 100g Icing Sugar
- 1 level tbsp Cocoa Powder
- Chocolate for adding chocolate shavings,or crunchy choco balls or FRESH strawberries sliced – whatever suits your mood , mine says GO ALL OUT FOR CHOCOLATE !
- Lightly Grease two cake tins and line the bottoms with non stick-parchment. Perheat Oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. I manage without parchment , it’s up to you, if your baking for the first time use it as it prevents the sides from burning.
- Ensure butter is completely softened or else use the old foolproof way – heat water in a pan ,place a vessel on top with the butter inside minus any packaging, watch it soften like a man melts when he looks onto the eyes’s of his dearest ,ahem …
- Measure the Butter and sugar into a bowl and mix well they form a creamy mix, I used a fork and gave it a good old whipping:) – think of someone you dislike – your boss , your mil, your annoying neighbour, Baba Yaga the Witch – whoever – just whip away hehehe
- Add 3 medium or 4 small eggs, I used 3 medium-sized eggs.
- Swift the self-raising flour into this mix ,followed by the baking powder, soda bicarbonate ,cocoa powder and beat till really smooth , I didn’t even need a hand blender as the butter was perfectly soft and the flour well swifted , though do go ahead and use a hand blender on low setting for about a minute , have added a picture so you know the look of consistency.
- Divide the mixture between the two tins and put into the oven to bake for 25-30mins.I used the foil of the butter packaging to grease the cake tins, no wastage in my kitchen !
- While in the oven make the icing by creaming together the butter and icing sugar and add cocoa powder, mix until smooth.
Sandwich together the two cakes with the icing.Add some on the sides and sprinkle the crunchy choco balls on the top , go all crazy and add some chocolate shavings , I did !When you bake this and sink your teeth into the chocolately heaven , enjoy the moment and then….drop me a line ! 🙂PICTURES !Hover over the pic for a title …