What better way to celebrate a new FOODISTA Badge for my post on Shahi Khichadi than by baking a chocolate cake, I firmly believe that chocolate is the one word that instantly lifts sagging spirits and the whole baking process itself is cathartic! So sistahs let’s BAKE!
Basic Chocolate Cake with Frosting
Delicious, easy must-have Chocolate cake recipe with frosting
- Cake tin
- Hand-Blender or Stand-Mixer
- Wire-rack to cool the cake
- Probe to test cake
- Spatula to frost the cake
- Measuring spoons
- Baking Parchment
- 225 gms Butter softened
- 225 gms Caster Sugar
- 4 Eggs
- 220 gms Self-Raising Flour
- 3 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tbsp Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 tsp Soda-Bicarbonate
For the frosting
- 100 gms Butter
- 100 gms Icing Sugar
- 1 tbsp CocoaPowder
- Shaved Chocolate for garnish
- Fresh Strawberries for garnish
- Granish of choice
- Lightly Grease two cake tins and line the bottoms with non stick-parchment. I manage without parchment , it's up to you, if yo are baking for the first time use it as it prevents the sides from burning.
- Preheat Oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- Ensure butter is completely softened or else use the old foolproof way – heat water in a pan ,place a vessel on top with the butter inside minus any packaging, watch it soften like a man melts when he looks onto the eyes's of his dearest ,ahem …
- Measure the Butter and sugar into a bowl and mix well they form a creamy mix, I used a fork and gave it a good old whipping:) – think of someone you dislike – your boss , your mil, your annoying neighbour, Baba Yaga the Witch – whoever – just whip away,hehehe
- Add 3 medium or 4 small eggs, I used 3 medium-sized eggs.
- Swift the self-raising flour into this mix ,followed by the baking powder, soda bicarbonate ,cocoa powder and beat till really smooth , I didn’t even need a hand blender as the butter was perfectly soft and the flour well swifted , though do go ahead and use a hand blender on low setting for about a minute , have added a picture so you know the look of consistency.
- Divide the mixture between the two tins. I used the foil of the butter packaging to grease the cake tins, no wastage in my kitchen !
- Bake in a pre-heated oven for approximately 25-30mins.
- While in the oven make the icing by creaming together the butter and icing sugar and add cocoa powder, mix until smooth.
- Cover frosting and set aside
- Allow the baked cakes to cool down completely on a wire-rack before frosting
- Sandwich the frosting in-between the two cakes
- Add some on the sides and sprinkle the crunchy choco balls on the top , go all crazy and add some chocolate shavings , I did !
Why not have a look at my other recipes: