It was one of those days when I wished the dinner made itself ,but hey you know what I am saying right?Like it’s ONLY Monday and am wishing it was the weekend again , ya, ya that kind of a horrible feeling- gaaahhh! Happens to the best of us , yes even me , ok ok I will get on with the recipe.I had this vegetable stock packet in my kitchen cupboard that had to be used or else! And I had some tomatoes, bright red chillies, half a red onion sliced , some unused tiny onions, a juicy lime and a spanking new bottle of Kafir Lime leaves .
Since I had spent the better part of the day, well on facebook 😉 I got my lazy,fat a** out of my house and walked to the supermarket.Some chocken thighs ,a mixed bag with chopped carrot and brocolli on reduced price , just what I was looking for!
Ok so here’s a list of all the ingredients I threw in and managed to make something that made hubby go from ”hummm ummm” to ”interesting” to ” u came up with this recipe like now?” the best compliment, ok am showing off and that sickening right?
Serves:2 , Cook time including serving time :25 miutes
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 100ml water
- 1/2 of a medium sized red onion sliced lengthwise
- 2 -3 shallots chopped lengthwise
- 2 cloves of garlic with the skin on
- 1 tiny pinch of cumin seeds
- 2 Kaffir lime leaves – no more ,they are POTENT!
- 2 bright red chillies slit lenghthwise
- 1 small tomato chopped into tiny pieces
- 3 pieces of chicken with the skin taken off
- Red chilli powder as per taste
- Salt as per taste
- 1 portion of thin egg noodles – 100 gm approx
- 1 small palmfull of diced carrot – 100 gm approx
- 2 -3 bits of broccoli cut into smaller bite sized portions – 100 gm approx
- 1/4th of piece of lime to squeeze onto the chicken
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- A smile on your face because you are going to make a new yum dish super quick and you n yours are gonna love-uh it!
- Wash the chicken pieces and remove the skin
- Pan on hob and add one tbsp oil ,saute the thinly length-wise sliced red onion saving a few bits to go into the stock pot.
- place the chicken pieces and lower the flame, turn the pieces in a few minutes after they start to fry, do not cook them fully as this pan fry bit is to ensure flavour on double impact and get the chicken to release it’s juices
- at this stage add the tomato bits into the pan and flatten with a spatula after they have sizzled for a bit, this will make the sauted onion flavour marry with the tomato and lock in the chicken juices,squeeze the lime onto this
- add about 2 tbsp of the vegetable stock to the chicken in the pan and simmer on as low a flame as possible,keep checking to ensure it does not dry up!
- Now add 1 tbsp in a saucepan and when it’s hot throw in the 2 big red chillies which have been split lengthwise,followed by the cumin,crushed garlic cloves with skin, some of the red onion chopped leftover from what went in the pan and the shallots chopped lengthwise.Keep the saucepan on a low flame to prevent burning of these ingredients.
- When the garlic is done and the pungent chilli and garlic gives off its trademark punch of aroma throw in the Kaffir lime leaves ,when the onion is totally pink n garlic crisp , throw in some of the vegetable stock and some water , add the noodles carrot and broccoli ,cover and bring to a boil, at this stage the carrot is almost cooked and the noodles too, scoop in the chicken and the thick onion-tomato gravy it was in, ensure you get every last bit of the thick sauce from the pan to not loose any of that wholesome goodness!
- Now throw in all the remaining vegetable stock and water and add salt and red chilli powder as per taste.
- cook on a low flame with lid till done, the chicken should just fall of the bone easy and the carrot should be well cooked but not squidgy.
- Serve hot with soft boiled potatoes in butter and herbs or a crisp baguette.
At 2 small spoons of oil and how it fills you, this one dish stock pot is filling, wholesome,relatively easy and a good for a weekday dinner when you are feeling well BLAH 😉
please leave comments to let me know if this recipe rocked your boat or totally sucked !
Love,peace and good night bloggy world ,I love ya !