Calling all DEXTER Fans!
Key Lime Pie – or one of Dexter ”victims” last meal, (who wanted to be a well ”victim”, if you watch Dexter as obsessively as I do, you will know! Season 3 episode 8 – Easy as Pie)
Well, this popular American Dessert is very easy to make and a delicious dessert option to serve. Recipe adapted from Martha Stewarts’ recipe for homemade Key Lime Pie and from BBC Good Food.
Key Limes get their name from the association with the Florida Keys and because they are the main ingredients in well, Key Lime Pie! I have used the darker green skinned limes and they give that – much required and tangy citrus taste to the pie.
- 300gm HobNobs (hob-nobs are the U.K version of the U.S Graham Crackers, use any biscuit/ cracker that will give you a good crumbly base)
- 150gm unsalted butter melted and cooled
- One 397gm tin of condensed milk
- Four egg yolks
- Zest and juice of 4 limes
- Put the hobnobs into a thick, strong, food-grade plastic bag and give them a good bashing, what fun, totally de-stressing! Or if you are less violent and do not watch Dexter then please use a food processor.
- Mix these beautiful crumbs with the soft melted and cooled butter in a bowl, my big orange plastic bowl is so good for this (for a quick peek at the bowl check out my post about cookies and headache ok well just cookies tehehehe)
- Firmly pat onto a tart tin 22 cm is what I have, I used a thick white ceramic pie pan which I purchased earlier on in the day and ended buying a gorgeous Brita Water Filter with it too, I love low price deals and my old water filter jug needed to be chucked!
- Bake the base for 10 minutes in a pre heated oven at 160C/fan 140C/gas 3
- Then separate the 4 egg yolks from the whites and add the entire tin of condensed milk, whisk for about 3 minutes , good if you have an electric whisk , I was making this pie at an obscenely late hour in the night and didn’t dare use my electric whisk ;), so had to mix really well for about 5 minutes.
- Zest the limes so that some of the zest can go into the mix and some can be used to dress the pie
- Now add the juice of the limes and some of the zest into the egg & condensed milk mix and whisk for another 3 minutes.
- Pour onto the cooled base and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Cool completely on a wire rack and then refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Dress the pie with some more lime zest, I didn’t want to do the whipped cream bit on the top but ended up using the ready made squeezy ready to use cream from a can, it sits very quickly and if you do not consume immediately it will form a puddle on the top so please avoid !
This is a wonderfull dessert to be shared with friends and family and is apt for weekend meals, make ahead and refrigerate.Great for summers!
Looking for more inspiration to indulge your sweet-tooth? Why not browse through my dessert recipes: