Lazy me, I wrote this post on the bank holiday weekend but didn’t end up uploading it! But here it is now! Followed up of course with my Prague and Vienna trip travel adventures !!
Long weekend trip to Prague with my girl gang
Hello everyone! It’s Monday and we are all waking up feeling very happy that we are not rushing to work! London has many food festivals happening all over and also the Notting Hill Carnival concludes today. Hubby and I have just got back from a 3-day highland tour and so am feeling on top of the world. The highlands are simply breathtaking ….But more about that in my travel posts later, for now, let me tell you how my girlfriends and I, planned a fun 3-day getaway to Prague!
A beautiful reminder of our Highland adventure
Dreaming of travelling across Europe
It was my first ever trip to Europe and Jules who writes a travel blog told us one lazy afternoon over a lazy cuppa coffee how she has been wanting to go to Prague forever. I actually wanted to go to Spain as my first Europe trip but well Prague sounded good too! Muks (Muktha) who is a travel enthusiast was super excited too and just like that, we set the plan into motion. So we found a brilliant deal with British Airways and saved a ton of cash by booking our flight tickets and hotel stay with BA.
Short break – Prague and Vienna
The next task up was, of course getting a Schengen Visa sorted for Muktha and me. Jools had already got hers from a trip before and wanted to make the most of the visa. Fab!
Applying for a Schengen Visa from the U.K
So while I started working hard at my new day job, we met in the evenings over several cuppas and planned the itinerary, and chalked out a list of all the documents you need to apply for a Schengen visa. Here is a quick look on the Czech Republic visa site for the documents necessary – please note this list is subject to change and you can get updated information about how to apply for a Schengen Visa for entry into the Czech Republic from the official website here
- Print out of valid return ticket
- Proof of stay – booking details of your stay in the Czech Republic
- Valid travel insurance documents
- Xerox of your passport front and back
- Xerox of visa to prove you are legally in the U.K when applying from the U.K
- Proof of employment, if valid
- Employers letter original confirming that you are on their payroll
- Bank statement of the past 3 months or your partner’s bank statement if you are financially dependent on them
Of course, you will need to carry your original passport and visa / BRP card.
Not sure if you need a visa to visit Prague? Have a look at this tourist information website, they have a helpful section with all documents that you require when visiting the Czech Republic.
Day Trip to Vienna
Jules meanwhile had a brainwave (expected!) and we decided to throw in a day trip to Vienna on Day 2 of our 3-day trip. Brilliant idea, I must admit and she found us a cracking deal with a travel company based in Prague. So a one-day road trip to Vienna was planned too!
Now all that remained was for us to get the visa! Which arrived in 5 days promptly – cool or what?! But it was a nervous wait especiallu for Muks as she is stickler for rules and timelines whereas I am …aheam NOT really the kind that would sweat over things much! hehehe
How to make the most of your single-entry schengen visa
Muks did tons of research and spent hours online and finally the Czech embassy wrote back to her confirming that on a single-entry Schengen visa we are allowed to travel within Schengen states. Muks and my very skeptical OH breathed a sigh of relief that at the Vienna border control we would face no trouble. All this while Jools was confident we could travel to Vienna too and after reading the email when Jules and I had a smug ‘told you so’ attitude which probably irked my OH a bit…but when two hard-core travel enthusiasts and bloggers bitten by wanderlust can’t both go wrong can they?
Packing for Prague
Now the not-so-fun part had to be done – PACKING. With daytime temperatures of 27 ° C predicted we had sun-tan on the top of our lists!
Stay tuned to my travel blog post series to find out what happened in Prague and on our exciting one-day trip to Vienna! What we saw ( or didn’t manage to cram into our packed sightseeing schedule !) and the exciting Czech food we ate – Schnitzels – yes! 🙂
L – R – Moi , Jules and Muks with the Astronomical Clock in the busiest square in the old town – when I first laid my eyes on this magical clock I fell in love with this city of cobbled lanes and historic monuments … it’s as if every brick had a story to tell… am sure they do actually … if only one could care to ask …
Prague – Posing outside the Astronomical Clock
Looking for travel inspiration? Have a browse through my other travel posts too!
- Plan your visit to the Tulip Gardens at Keukenhof
- Enjoy an evening tasting the best local cheese and wine
- Top 5 fun things to do in Amsterdam
- Steigenberger Hotel, Schipol – a review of my stay
- Best local wine bar in Venice
- Hotel Al Ponte Mocenigo, Venice – a review
- Fantastic Finland – Top 10 – To-Do list while Akaslompolo, Lapland
- Helsinki Plus Apartment Kallio in Finland – Overnight stay review
- Stay in a private log cabin in Finnish Lapland at an Eco-friendly backpacker’s hostel called the 7 Fells
- Eco-camping in Panchgani, Maharashtra, India
- Washington D.C – U.S.A – Air BnB Stay review
- A week in North Wales – Part 1 – in and around Holyhead
- A week in North Wales – Part 2 – Southstack Lighthouse and Cemaes Bay
- Family days out – Top 5 spots around London
- Summer trek along River Wey, Surrey, England
- Denby’s Vineyard, Dorking, Surrey, England