Having grown up in Mumbai and always having had very friendly Gujarati neighbours , I have a long love affair with Gujarati cuisine and especially love the Gujarati Kadhi which was quite the star attraction in traditional Gujarati wedding feasts, always a sweet and welcome addition to a plate full of steaming hot khichdi, the large red chillies added into for more the effect than the punch.
If you don’t have access to buttermilk then simply use curd/ yoghurt.
Serves:4 Preparation Time:10 minutes Cooking Time:15 minutes
- 3 cups buttermilk or 1 and 1/2 cup thick-set curd /yoghurt
- 2 tbsp besan or chickpea flour
- 1tsp freshly grated ginger and green chilli paste
- Hing/ Asafoetioda – at iny pinch
- Puree ghee/clarified butter – 1 tbsp
- Few fresh green curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp Jeera/ cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp rai/mustard seeds
- 2 large dry red chillies broken and de-seeded
- Suhar 1 and 1/2 tbsp or Jaggery 1 heaped tbsp
- a handful of fresh green coriander/cilantro chopped fine
- Salt as per taste
- If using butter milk 3 cups this step is not required. Otherwise combine the yoghurt ,chickpea flour and 2 and 1/2 cup water till it becomes a smooth mixture. Use a fork or a whisk and if lumps are still visible just use your fingers to break the lumps.
- Grate a small piece of fresh ginger and crush a green chilli into it.
- On a medium flame heat the clarified butter in a large saucepan and add the asafoetida, mustard seeds , red chillies,cumin,ginger and green chilli and curry leaves.
- When the mustard seeds begin to pop and cumin begins to change colour, reduce the flame to a minimum , tilt the saucepan with one hand and pour the yoghurt and chickpea mixture into this tempering/tadka mixture.
- Add the sugar or jaggery now.
- Cook with lid on a low flame for about 6-8 minutes , do not boil as the yoghurt will curdle.
- Add salt and garnish with finely chopped coriander. Serve hot with khichdi or soft rotis.
Gujarati kadhi differs from Punjabi kadhi in that it is sweeter and does not include fried pakoras, I have a fusion recipe for Punjabi Kadi which I tried long ago, if you want something a little different why not try my Punjabi Kadhi with a twist.
LEARN HOW TO MAKE INDIAN FOOD FROM SCRATCH WITH MY EASY TO FOLLOW RECIPES
- Fresh dill and yellow moong daal recipe
- Goda sheera/ sooji ka halwa/ Indian dessert
- CKP Surmai curry
- Pompfret fry
- Konbichi khichadi – Prawn khichadi
- Vaangayche Bharit/ Smoked stuffed Aubergine ( Eggplant/Brinjal) in a thick gravy/ Baingan ka bharta
- Valache Birdhe – (वालाचे बिरडे) – MADE IN A TYPICAL C.K.P WAY
- Kairi Panhe/ Aam ka panha – Raw mango summer drink
- Cauliflower- vatana bhaji – cauliflower and green peas vegetarian side dish
- Podhnichi khichadi
- Akkha masoor aamti CKP style / Whole red lentils with skin curry recipe
- Achari Mutton curry
- Spicy Chicken curry
- Egg curry
- Kadhi – fusion of Punjabi and Gujrati kadhi recipes with vadi’s
- Shahi Khichadi
- Sweetcorn and paneer bhaji/sabzi (vegetable side dish)
- Tomato and coconut chutney
- Steamed Idli batter
- Ragi (Finger Millet) and blueberry pancakes
- Masala egg omlette
- Chicken tikka masala
- Tikka masala curry paste
- Tawa chicken Frankie roll
- Chai concentrate
- Grated carrot salad
- Strawberry flavoured shrikhand