Kadhi is another of my favourite dishes to be made when I want a Typically Indian meal with steaming hot rice fluffy and begging to be eaten with a bowl of home-made kadhi with crunchy pakoras(potato and onion fritters)
Kadhi is basically a spicy gravy made with curd and Bengal gram flour and there are two versions, this one made in the Northern part of India called ”Punjabi Kadhi” or the Gujarati Version – where the garnishing is done using long red chillies and it is a delicacy served in most weddings – well traditionally at least, nowadays weddings have ”world cuisine” another dilution of tradition … There is also another version called Sindhi Kadhi where tamarind pulp is added and so are few chopped veggies !
This is another recipe that I should have uploaded eons ago! It was much liked when I uploaded the pic on my Facebook album ”Food and How much I love it” Humm, how much more ”foodie” can one get, I wonder… 😉
Ok, now for the Ingredient list :
Ingredients for the Kadhi
- 2 heaped tbsp besan (Bengal gram flour)
- 1 1/2 cups curds (dahi)
- 1 tsp ginger-green chilli paste
- 2 curry leaves (kadi patta)2 tbsp chopped coriander (dhania)
- salt to tasteIngredients for the pakoras/fritters
1/4 cup Chopped onion
1/4 cup Chopped potato
1 tsp Ajwain.
1 tsp Red chili powder.
salt to taste
about 2 spoons Besan (Bengal gram flour) & Water
-Mix all Chopped onion & potato in the besan and water mix , ensuring there are no lumps . Add ajwain , salt and chilli powder .
– Heat oil in a Kadhai and deep fry vegetable and gram flour mixture after making into small balls. Fry till pakoras are golden brown.
-Beat Curd/Yogurt and mix gram flour in it. Blend thoroughly so as to ensure that there are no lumps. Add turmeric powder, salt and 3 cups of water.
– Add the chilli-ginger paste, curry leaves, sugar and salt and put to boil.
– Boil whilst stirring for a while.
– Prepare the tempering by heating the ghee and frying the cumin and mustard seeds until they turn brown. Add the asafoetida and red chilli.
– Add the tempering to the kadhi and boil for a few minutes.
– Add the cooked pakoras
– Sprinkle coriander on top and serve hot with boiled rice .
Inspired? Would you like to try my Gujarati Kadhi recipe? Check it out here:
LEARN HOW TO MAKE INDIAN FOOD FROM SCRATCH WITH MY EASY TO FOLLOW RECIPES
- Fresh dill and yellow moong daal recipe
- Goda sheera/ sooji ka halwa/ Indian dessert
- CKP Surmai curry
- Pompfret fry
- Konbichi khichadi – Prawn khichadi
- Vaangayche Bharit/ Smoked stuffed Aubergine ( Eggplant/Brinjal) in a thick gravy/ Baingan ka bharta
- Valache Birdhe – (वालाचे बिरडे) – MADE IN A TYPICAL C.K.P WAY
- Kairi Panhe/ Aam ka panha – Raw mango summer drink
- Cauliflower- vatana bhaji – cauliflower and green peas vegetarian side dish
- Podhnichi khichadi
- Akkha masoor aamti CKP style / Whole red lentils with skin curry recipe
- Achari Mutton curry
- Spicy Chicken curry
- Egg curry
- Gujrati Kadhi
- Shahi Khichadi
- Sweetcorn and paneer bhaji/sabzi (vegetable side dish)
- Tomato and coconut chutney
- Steamed Idli batter
- Ragi (Finger Millet) and blueberry pancakes
- Masala egg omlette
- Chicken tikka masala
- Tikka masala curry paste
- Tawa chicken Frankie roll
- Chai concentrate
- Grated carrot salad
- Strawberry flavoured shrikhand
[…] Punjabi Kadhi […]
[…] Gujarati kadhi differs from Punjabi kadhi in that it is sweeter and does not include fried pakoras, I have a fusion recipe for Punjabi Kadi which I tried long ago if you want something a little different why not try my Punjabi Kadhi with a twist. […]