Clear Vegetable soup – my way – Easy Cooking, Healthy Food
Happy New Year everyone! It’s a great way to start a new year on a healthy note hence some soup for new years day lunch light and easy !
Nothing warms us up in winter like a steaming hot soup, if it is filling , easy to make and wholesome it makes life even better! Agree? I love ordering clear vegetable soup when I go eating out and though this is not the typical chinese take away and is a very home cooking and simplistic approach it’s still what a soup should essentially be – wholesome…
You can add as many veggies as you like that would marry well with the basic list I think is essential, I basically use whatever is available in my vegetable tray on the said day !
The following roughly make for 2 large bowls of soup and a small leftover portion for Lunch next day, perfect I say !
- Cauliflower 1/4th finely chopped
- Small hand full green peas
- 2 – 3 large sprigs of spring onion finally chopped
- Bottle Gourd – 1/4th finely chopped
- 2 large cloves of garlic
- A pinch of cummin seeds
- Half a tea-spoon ghee or low-fat butter example :Lurpack
- 2 small carrots finely chopped
- Hand full french beans very finely chopped
- 1/4th tomato very finely chopped for flavour
- Large bit of fresh ginger smashed with skin to add flavour
Optional : Brocoli, sweet corn,potatoes,cabbage
- Boil all the veggies in water with salt to taste and the large piece of ginger with skin after its washed thoroughly , if it has too much mud on it please remove the skin , no knife skills needed just let yourself go, as Jamie Oliver would say !
- While these are almost boiled ,take the ghee/butter in a tadka pan(image pasted below ) add the garlic cloves with skin smash them using a mortar pestle before adding and then add the cumin seeds when the gee/butter is hot and sputtering.Add this ”tadka” or seasoning to the boiled veggie water mix and serve hot.
- The toasted garlic and ghee combination give off a sweet flavour and an appetising aroma.
- An ideal accompaniment is a boiled sweet corn stub slathered in low-fat butter and a slice of your favourite baguette !
Cheers to good health , easy cooking , healthy and wholesome meals and of course winter warmers !