Enjoy summery flavours mixed with a warming aromatic bowl of spicy noodle soup with Iceland Foods new BBQ Mississippi pulled pork from the World Famous Foods range
Winter evenings in February are always unpredictable, even though some days are warm, evenings are always chilly. During transition periods the trio of cold, cough and flu makes an appearance. At such times I mostly crave a hearty filling bowl of soupy noodles with a spicy zing and yesterday I had the perfect excuse – a chilly evening -and a freezer full of frozen delights from Iceland Foods World Famous Foods range. I cannot resist juicy BBQ pulled pork and thought an aromatic warming noodle soup topped with BBQ pulled pork was an apt choice – soup to warm your cockles and BBQ flavours to welcome the new season which is just around the corner.
Isn’t it great that you can enjoy summery flavours from across the world at any time you please by just stocking up your freezer with these delightfully diverse and flavoursome foods? The sheer convenience of having the #PowerofFrozen at your fingertips allowing you to create a whole host of budget-friendly, tasty meals that not only you and your family can enjoy but are perfect crowd-pleasers.
To make their frozen range even more convenient is the Chilled Life on the products, which clearly states how long a product can stay in the fridge to ensure that its high quality and taste are not impacted. The smart way to free up precious freezer space especially in the summer!
To make the meal healthy I used zero fat, low calorie and low carb, gluten-free noodles, and very little oil on high heat. You could swap the oil for a 1 cal oil spray too.
BBQ pulled pork Soup with aromatic low-carb, GF noodles
Iceland Foods has re-christened their slow-cooked range as the World famous foods range.
BBQ pulled Pork and aromatic noodle soup
- 550 grams BBQ Mississippi Pulled Pork
- 350 grams Beef stock from a 450 gm shop bought jar
- 240 grams gm of mixed tender stem broccoli green beans, pak choi
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 pack bared naked noodles
- 1/2 thumb-sized Cinnamon stick
- 1/2 thumb-sized Ginger – peeled and sliced
- 1/2 Thai red chilli – thinly sliced
- 1/2 a stick of fresh fragrant lemongrass
- 1/2 a medium sized red onion sliced lengthwise
- 3-4 cloves of garlic deskinned and smashed roughly with the flat end of a knife
- a pinch of brown castor sugar
- Handful of fresh coriander roughly chopped
- Some fresh chopped spring onion to garnish
- 1 lime sliced into wedges
- 2 medium boiled eggs
- Defrost the BBQ Mississippi pulled pork in the refrigerator for 24 hours before use
- Place for 40 mins at 180 °C in a pre-heated oven
- While the pork is heating in the oven, start with the noodle preparation
- Heat a wok on medium heat
- When the wok is hot add sesame oil and add the cinnamon, garlic, ginger and red onion
- Cook on medium heat until the garlic and red onion turn a nice brown, then add the green beans and broccoli
- Stir fry the green for about a minute on medium low heat before pouring in the beef stock
- Add some water to thicken the stock if it is too thick and then added the cooked noodles. Throw in the sliced lemongrass stalk and sugar
- If you are using noodles that need to be cooked beforehand, simply follow pack instructions.
- I used Barenaked Noodles as they are zero fat, low in calories and extremely low carb
- Add the pak choi and cook covered on a low heat for about one minute
- To serve, add the noodle soup in each bowl then garnish with fresh coriander and some chopped spring onion. Place about 2 heaped tbsp of pulled pork in each bowl
- Serve with a wedge of lime
- Serve hot
Both hubby and I loved the thick and flavourful rich BBQ sauce and used some of the leftover sauce to drizzle over mushrooms stuffed with mature cheddar and oven cooked with just a spritz of chilli garlic oil – the result was mouth watering!
The entire range of World famous foods is available in stores at Iceland Foods from 20th Feb’17. The World famous range includes: Hoisin Duck Wings, OHSicilian Half Chicken, BBQ Mississippi Pulled Pork, BBQ Texan Down & Dirty Pulled Brisket, BBQ Memphis Baby Back Ribs, Minted Lamb Shanks, Garlic & Rosemary Lamb Leg. To find out more head to the Iceland Foods site here.
LOOKING FOR EASY TO MAKE, DELICIOUS SOUP AND STEW RECIPES? WHY NOT BROWSE THROUGH SOME OF MY EASY TO FOLLOW RECIPES:
- Creamy celeriac and smoked red pepper soup
- Clear Vegetable soup – Fusion recipe with an Indian twist
- Red Lentil Soup
- Tomato and Lentil soupy broth
- Chinese chicken noodle soup
- Butternut Squash and lentil soup
This post was commissioned by Iceland Foods. As always all opinions are always my own.