When I first purchased sweet mini peppers I made a pie with them, well honestly it looked anything but perfect and just about made it to ”ok” on the taste parameters, but I shall leave that discussion for a later date. This recipe is adapted from the one given on the cute resealable bag in which the vibrantly colourfull and tempting sweet peppers were packaged in by the supermarket.
Serves:6 as a side dish Prep Time:15 Minutes, allow for at least half an hour of marination to allow flavours to really develop and pack a punch
Ingredients for the salad dressing:Juice of 1 lime
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 garlic clove – remove skin and crush
- 2 X 15 ml cooking oil, I used sunflower
- 3 X 15 ml red wine vinegar
- 1 X 5 ml hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 X 5 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 a teaspoon castor sugar
- Salt to sprinkle
- Freshly cracked black pepper to taste
Ingredients for the salad
- 6-8 sweet mini peppers, de-seeded and chopped into tiny cubes
- 1 can of 400 gm (14 oz) ready to eat red kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 a cucumber, peeled and chopped into tiny cubes
- 250 gm cherry tomatoes
- 1 large red onion sliced lenght wise
- 195 gm (7oz) sweet corn drained
I also added the remaining portion of the organic mangoes,roughly chopped into bite sized pieces, this is an optional add I just needed to use up the mango and it added a sweet-tangy taste which I love.You could also chop fine a small bunch of fresh coriander or skip it totally.
- In a large salad bowl mix all the dressing ingredients and add all the salad ingredients into the bowl
- Mix well and leave to marinate for at least half an hour.
- Since it’s super hot right now I kept it in the fridge for a bit before serving.
This salad is a super side dish with Jerk Chicken and for those summer evening when you feel you cannot eat heavy meals, just combine it with a portion of roasted meat replacement done lightly spiced.I love my new salad bowl gifted by my aunt on her visit to ours.Love you maushi.