Wait a bit? Did you read that right? Absolutely yes! Vegetarian Sausages are exactly what I have used in this fab recipe sent by my sister who turned vegetarian a few years ago. She doesn’t even consume eggs. I am far from becoming a vegetarian but love to experiment with lighter options and so was delighted to receive some samples from Secret Sausages which I had sampled first at FBC 2014 a few months ago and I recollect really liking the flavours.
I was sent 3 different flavours to experiment with:
- Rosemary & Garlic – Garlic, Green Beans, Mixed Peppers and Rosemary
- Honey Bee – Sweet Corn, carrots, peas and honey
- Chilli and Coriander – Chillies, coriander, onion, sweet corn and carrots
This recipe can be used with the sausages chopped and served as a starter or else as a main with sides like potato or sweet potato mash and green peas.
Serves: 2 as a main with a side of mash and peas
Ingredients – Enough for 2 packets with 6 sausages each
- groundnut powder – 5 heaped tbsp
- Garlic purée
- Green Chillies – 3
- A small bunch of fresh coriander or one large packet from the supermarket
- Oil 3 tbsp
- Juice of one lemon
- Salt to taste
- Red onions – 2 large
- Tomato – 1 medium-sized
- In a dry sauce on a low flame heat 1 tbsp oil and add the chopped green chillies and garlic purée.
- Then add the groundnuts powder and roast this mixture for about 2 minutes, stirring continuously ensuring it does not burn.
- Turn off the flame and add freshly, finely chopped coriander leaves, salt, sugar and lemon juice.
- Allow this mixture to cool down and then coat the sausage with skin with the mixture thoroughly.
- Refrigerate the marinated sausages for an hour.
- Before you remove the marinated sausages from the refrigerator make the onion and tomato mixture.
- Chop the onion into long thin strips.
- Heat 2 heaped tbsp oil in the same saucepan and sauté till they caramelise.
- Add the chopped tomato and sauté for another minute.
- Then remove the marinated sausages from the refrigerator and saute on a griddle pan with very little oil sprinkled onto it.
- Mix the sausages in the onion-tomato mixture.
- Serve with mashed potatoes and green peas as sides.
Why not try my recipe for a fabulous Meatless Monday meal?
*With thanks to Secret Sausages for the samples. No monetary compensation was offered for a positive review. As always all opinions expressed here are entirely my own.