Key Lime Pie – or one of Dexter ”victims” last meal, (who wanted to be a well ”victim”, if you watch Dexter as obsessively as I do, you will know! Season 3 episode 8 – Easy as Pie)
Key Limes get their name from the association with Florida Keys and because they are the main flavouring ingredients in well, Key Lime Pie! I have used the darker green skinned limes and they give that – much required and tangy citrus taste to the pie.
- 300gm HobNobs (hob-nobs are the U.K version of the U.S Graham Crackers, use any biscuit/ cracker that will give you a good crumbly base)
- 150gm unsalted butter melted and cooled
- One 397gm tin of condensed milk
- Four egg yolks
- Zest and juice of 4 limes
- Put the hobnobs into a thick, strong, food-grade plastic bag and give them a good bashing, what fun, totally de-stressing! Or if you are less violent and do not watch Dexter then please use a food processor.
- Mix these beautiful crumbs with the soft melted and cooled butter in a bowl, my big orange plastic bowl is so good for this (for a quick peek at the bowl check out my post about cookies and headache ok well just cookies tehehehe)
- Firmly pat onto a tart tin 22 cm is what I have, I used a thick white ceramic pie pan which I purchased earlier on in the day and ended buying a gorgeous Brita Water Filter with it too, I love low price deals and my old water filter jug needed to be chucked!
- Bake the base for 10 minutes in a pre heated oven at 160C/fan 140C/gas 3
- Then separate the 4 egg yolks from the whites and add the entire tin of condensed milk, whisk for about 3 minutes , good if you have an electric whisk , I was making this pie at an obscenely late hour in the night and didn’t dare use my electric whisk ;), so had to mix really well for about 5 minutes.
- Zest the limes so that some of the zest can go into the mix and some can be used to dress the pie
- Now add the juice of the limes and some of the zest into the egg & condensed milk mix and whisk for another 3 minutes.
- Pour onto the cooled base and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Cool completely on a wire rack and then refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Dress the pie with some more lime zest, I didn’t want to do the whipped cream bit on the top but ended up using the ready made squeezy ready to use cream from a can, it sits very quickly and if you do not consume immediately it will form a puddle on the top so please avoid !
This is a wonderfull dessert to be shared with friends and family and is apt for weekend meals, make ahead and refrigerate.Great for summers!