Wait a bit ? Did you read that right? Absolutely yes ! Vegetarian Sausages are exactly what I have used in this fab recipe sent by my sister who turned vegetarian a few years ago. She doesn’t even consume eggs. I am far from becoming a vegetarian but love to experiment with lighter options and so was delighted to receive some samples from Secret Sausages which I had sampled first at FBC 2014 a few months ago and I recollect really liking the the flavours.
I was sent 3 different flavours to experiment with:
- Rosemary & Garlic – Garlic , Green Beans,Mixed Peppers and Rosemary
- Honey Bee – Sweet Corn , carrots, peas and honey
- Chilli and Coriander – Chillies , coriander , onion , sweet corn and carrots
This recipe can be used with the sausages chopped and served as a starter or else as a main with sides like potato or sweet potato mash and green peas .
Serves: 2 as a main with a side of mash and peas
Ingredients – enough for 2 packets with 6 sausages each
- groundnut powder – 5 heaped tbsp
- Garlic purée
- Green Chillies – 3
- A small bunch of fresh coriander or one large packet from the supermarket
- Oil 3 tbsp
- Juice of one lemon
- Salt to taste
- Red onions – 2 large
- Tomato – 1 medium sized
- In a dry sauce on a low flame heat 1 tbsp oil and add the chopped green chillies and garlic purée.
- Then add the the groundnuts powder and roast this mixture for about 2 minutes , stirring continuously ensuring it does not burn.
- Turn off the flame and add freshly ,finely chopped coriander leaves, salt , sugar and lemon juice.
- Allow this mixture to cool down and then coat the sausage with skin with the mixture thoroughly.
- Refrigerate the marinated sausages for an hour.
- Before you remove the marinated sausages from the refrigerator make the onion and tomato mixture.
- Chop the onion into long thinstrips.
- Heat 2 heaped tbsp oil in the same saucepan and sauté till they caramelise.
- Add the chopped tomato and sauté for another minute.
- Then remove the marinated sausages from the refrigerator and saute on a griddle pan with very little oil sprinkled onto it.
- Mix the sausages in the onion – tomato mixture.
- Serve with mashed potatoes and green peas as sides.
Why not try my recipe for a fabulous Meatless Monday meal ?
*With thanks to Secret Sausages for the samples. No monetary compensation was offered for a positive review . As always all opinions expressed here are entirely my own.